On Your Way In
- Turn off all cell phones and all other electronic devices before entering the yoga studio. And please refrain from talking on cell phones in hallways before or after classes.
- While in the hallways or change rooms, please talk softly and quietly in order to respect the classes already in session. Close the lockers with care – the slamming of the doors can be heard in the yoga rooms!
- If you bring your phone into class for security reasons, please ensure that it is turned off. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Remove your shoes at the hallway entrance before proceeding into the change rooms or yoga studios.
- Please refrain from eating in the hallways or studios; food may only be eaten in the reception area – it must also be vegetarian food.
- As many people may have sensitivities or allergies to fragrances, please refrain from applying perfume, cologne, or other heavily scented products while in the Centre.
- It is recommended not to eat for 1-2 hours before class, and to drink plenty of water throughout the day. It is very important to arrive hydrated when practicing yoga in a the Hot or Sun rooms.
- If it is your first time to the Rama Lotus, please ensure that you arrive 15-20 minutes early to allow enough time to complete the New Student Form, get changed, and settled in before class begins. Please note: The beginning of a class is essential for a first-time student because they cannot miss the introduction, safety instructions and warm-ups, as such new students will not be permitted to enter a class late. Arrive early & enjoy!
- Always strive to arrive at least five minutes early. If you must enter a class late, go in as quickly and as quietly as possible. No student will be permitted into a class later than 5 minutes after the start of class.
On Your Way Out
- In consideration of other students waiting, please limit your shower to a quick rinse (two minutes or less).
- Place any plastic bottles in the blue recycling bins located either at reception or in the change rooms.
- Used rental towels are to be put in the bins located outside the Hot room or in the change rooms.
- Used rental mats are to be placed in the basket at reception – not where you first picked it up
In The Studio
- Keep in mind that you generally do not need more than one foot of space on either side of your mat. As others come in welcome them by graciously making room for them.
- Please honour the silence in the yoga studio, and respect this policy as others await class to begin and rest afterwards. If talking at all, please speak softly.
- When practicing classes in the Hot or Sun rooms make sure to bring a mat and a towel to place over top to prevent slipping and for your safety.
- For your convenience, we offer lockers to place your belongings in for the duration of your class. Locks are to be removed upon leaving, however Rama Lotus does provide lockers for longer-term personal use if required.
- Feel free to use any of the yoga props provided in the studios (pillows, bolsters, blocks, straps or blankets) please return them neatly to the space provided at the end of each class.
- If you know you will have to leave early, let the teacher know beforehand. Sit near the door and try to leave at a good time in the class (i.e. just before meditation starts, not in the middle of it – likewise with savasana).
- If you have a medical condition that may affect your ability to safely participate please inform your instructor at the beginning of the class.
- If you are not feeling well and must leave, try to signal the teacher and leave the room as quietly as possible. If it becomes worse, or you feel faint please let the teacher or receptionist know immediately so that we may assist you.
- Savasana (final relaxation) is an important part of the practice, please do your best to stay until this has been completed.
- If practicing a style that uses mirrors, try to set up your space so that you do not block the line of sight of others behind you.
- When chanting or using a noisy breath, you should still be able to hear the voices or breathing of the others in the class as well as they can hear yours.
- Always feel free to ask your yoga teacher for assistance during your class. If you have longer questions that relate to your individual practice, approach your teacher after class.
- Teachers are always willing to suggest resources and referrals. Feel free to ask about these or about the music used during the class, at the end of class.
- It is fine to acknowledge your teacher at class end, though not necessary. The best way to acknowledge your teacher is by practicing well and consistently, and by bringing the spirit of yoga into your daily life and work.
- If you notice anything amiss at the Centre, consider taking care of it as a practice of karma yoga. If it requires additional attention, please inform someone at the reception area.
Rama Lotus is Your Yoga Centre. Make it what you want it to be!